Helping protect Australian pets since 1995
Bow Wow Meow is an Australian-owned business that has been providing services to pet owners since 1995. We started off providing personalised pet ID tags and in 2008 we launched our Pet Health Insurance offering. Since our launch, more than 80,000 pet owners have found the benefits, options and costs of our policies to be very attractive.
We care about the service we give and helping you when times are tough. Pet owners recognise this and have consistently rated us the number one pet insurer in Australia on independent consumer ratings site productreview.com.au over the last few years.This has culminated in us being chosen as Product Review’s Pet Insurer of the Year for 2017 and again for 2018/2019, something of which we are very proud.
What is most gratifying for us is that these awards are given based on real reviews from our customers. We are so proud to be able to help so many Aussie pet owners and their fur babies stay happy & healthy.
We are backed by the industry leaders
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance is promoted by Pet Tag Holdings Pty Ltd (AR No. 318 913), underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 241436), arranged by One3Six Pty Ltd (AR No. 1264853) and arranged and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd (AFSL No. 420183). Hollard is the leading pet insurer in Australia and specialises in this area of insurance. It currently insures many thousands of pets around the world. The information provided on this website does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. To help you decide whether this policy is right for you please read the Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”), Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement (“SPDS”) and Services Guide (“FSG”) or call 1800 668 502 and we will answer any questions you may have.
Join our Bow Wow Meow community
At Bow Wow Meow we are all about loving your pet & responsible pet ownership. Not only are we rated as the number one pet insurer on productreview.com.au, we have managed to assist millions of pets with external identification should they ever become lost.We get the deep connection that each of you have with your furry family members and we are just as passionate about dogs & cats as you are. So a very welcoming Woof and Meow to you… come and join the Bow Wow Meow Community!
What is pet insurance?
Pet insurance is a financial product that helps pet owners cover the risk of eligible veterinary expenses resulting from accident and illness conditions in their dogs and cats. Pet insurance plans available in Australia cover anywhere from 60% to 100% of the vet bill (the majority cover 80%) and come with different inclusions, exclusions, excesses, annual benefit limits and sub-limits on certain conditions e.g. sub-limits on cruciate ligaments conditions.
Many pet owners’ question whether they need to take out pet insurance for their dog or cat. With the cost of veterinary care outstripping inflation and advances in available treatments, vet care for an ill or injured pet can quickly add up to thousands of dollars, particularly if the condition is chronic and ongoing. Unless you have savings to cover this, it can be very difficult to find the money to pay for the care your cat or dog needs.
We find that the value of pet insurance is often realised by pet owners after they are faced with a large vet bill, and unfortunately this is often too late. You should also be aware that any condition that arises before you take up pet insurance, or during the applicable waiting period is considered a pre-existing condition and will not be covered by pet insurance in the future.
When researching pet insurance products in Australia, we recommend getting an understanding of what is covered by the different types of products on the market. While the product names and benefit amounts may change, the main types of pet insurance cover are generally as follows:
Accident Plus cover
Accident Plus cover is the option to cover you for accidents or accident related emergencies. These policies cover harm or injury caused by accidents, such as: accidents involving burns, broken bones, snake bites, allergic reactions to insect bites or bites from other dogs or cats. It is important to be aware that this type of pet insurance cover is limited as you won’t be covered for all illnesses. However, we have added additional cover to this policy (that was not there before in our old Accident Only policy).
Please see covered conditions below (please view our PDS for additional details, exclusions, sub limits and related waiting periods for different conditions):
- a motor vehicle incident
- a burn or electrocution
- an allergic reaction to insect or spider bite excluding flea bites
- ingestion of foreign object
- a paralysis tick
- heat stroke
- gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV)
- trauma induced respiratory impairment
- bone fractures
- snake bite toxicity
- a traumatic ligament or tendon injury other than cruciate ligament condition
- bite wound or fight wound abscesses
- lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence
- traumatic spinal disc rupture
- torn nail
- embedded grass seed
- soft tissue injury
- eye Trauma
- intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
- cruciate ligament condition
- Hip Joint Surgery for stated conditions (only covered where it is related to one of the accidental injuries covered)
Accident and illness cover (Peace of Mind Plan & Ultimate Care Plans)
- Accident and Illness cover includes illnesses as well as accidents (as listed in the Accident Plus plan) and will provide you with a more wide-ranging cover. For Bow Wow Meow policies, this includes our Peace of Mind Plan & Ultimate Care Plans. Minor as well as major conditions are covered which would include anything from skin conditions and ear infections to cancer, diabetes, broken bones and hereditary conditions, along with chronic conditions11 which are covered for life (provided you renew your policy each year without any break, lapse or change in the level of Cover).
- The Ultimate Plan covers everything the Peace of Mind plan covers except it also includes dental illness cover with a sub limit of $1,000 per annum. In addition, it offers optional alternative therapy up to $1,000.10
- Note that any pre-existing conditions are excluded.
Indoor Cat Cover (Specified Illness Cover)
- Bow Wow Meow now offers an Indoor Cat Policy. These are for cat owners who feel that they do not feel the need to pay additional premium to cover the additional risk normally associated with pets that go outside which is why certain conditions are excluded.
- This policy has an annual limit $5,000 per annum, a benefit rate of 80% with no excess and covers, consultation fees up to limit of $300 per annum, surgery, hospitalisation, outer and inner ear infections, poisoning, cancer diabetes, heart disease, gastrointestinal problems and other conditions listed in the PDS.
- Certain accidents such as cover for car accidents, burns, snake bites, allergic reaction to insect bites and bone fractures to name a few are excluded from the policy.
- Likewise, certain illness conditions such as eye trauma, elbow & hip dysplasia, cruciate ligaments and patella luxation are also not covered.
- This policy covers chronic, reoccurring and ongoing specified illnesses for life, provided you renew your policy each year without any break, lapse or change in the level of Cover. See details in our product disclosure statement.
Routine care cover
This additional cover provides assistance with costs for routine items such as vaccinations and micro chipping. Bow Wow Meow offers this as an optional extra on any Accident and Illness policy. For details relating to this, please read more here.